Pub Operator Greene King fined £150k

Published: 5 Dec 2017

Greene King received a £150k Health and Safety fine last month after a teenager suffered severe burns, blisters and scars after being scalded by hot water carried through a busy kitchen in an ice cream container.

This is their first fine under health and safety legislation in its 218-year history.

On investigation, it was discovered that the water boiler had broken and two teenagers were given empty two litre ice cream tubs and asked to carry hot water across the kitchen. However, when they accidentally crashed into each other, the water splashed down one of the teenager’s legs, causing severe blistering and second-degree burns.

Brewing giant Greene King was fined £140,000 and ordered to pay £10,000 costs after admitting a lack of proper training. The firm pleaded guilty to a single charge of breaching section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act at Reading Crown Court.

This incident could have been avoided if basic health and safety fundamentals had been followed, and risk assessments undergone. Better planning of maintenance work was required as well as more consideration of health and safety protocols.

Contact CSC today if you need further advice to ensure that you are kept safe.