From 1 April 2016, Hazardous Waste Regulations change in that businesses producing or holding waste would no longer need to register their premises.
Duty of care requirements still remain the same with implications for clients as follows:
- Classify your waste
- Separate and store hazardous waste separately
- Use authorised businesses to collect and recycle hazardous waste
- Check that waste carriers and waste sites have environmental health permits
- Fill in parts of the waste consignment notes that apply to you
- Keep one copy and give two copies to the carrier collecting your waste
- Keep records for three years
- Complete a hazardous waste return every quarter using the template at this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hazardous-waste-consignee-returns-spreadsheet
It’s an offence to submit incomplete, false or misleading data – you need robust quality control procedures to deliver complete and accurate information.
For further information, you can consult the gov.uk website regarding hazardous waste.