A pub chef and manager have been jailed after a women who ate a Christmas meal they served died from food poisoning.
Della Callagher died and 33 others fell ill after eating at the Railway Hotel in Hornchurch on Christmas day.
Chef Mehmet Kaya and Ann-Marie McSweeney were found guilty of perverting the course of justice and jailed for 12 and 18 months respectively.
They had fabricated food safety records relating to the cooking of turkey meat.
The chain which owned the pub, was fined £1.5m for placing unsafe food on the market.
The court heard that on Christmas day 2012 the pub served lunch to 128 customers. Thirty-three of them suffered from food poisoning.
The turkeys that had been prepared the day before had not been cooled properly after cooking and not adequately reheated before being served to guests.
Clostridium perfringens bacterium, a common cause of food poisoning, was later found in samples taken from diners who fell ill.
The court was told that food safety records had not been filled in so McSweeney, who had worked at the hotel for 24 years, concocted a plan for her and Kaya to falsify them. Kaya and McSweeney retrospectively filed in due diligence logs before health inspectors could carry out an investigation.