Care home fine following smoking death

7
Sep

66 year old Gordon Boxall, suffered with parkinsons disease and in 2015 was residing in a care home run by Anchor Trust. Mr Boxall lost his life when his pyjamas caught fire when he was left unattended smoking a cigarette. His pyjamas easily ignited due to the paraffin-based creams that were applied to him to treat a dry-skin condition. He suffered 80% burns as a result of the incident.
The care home was ordered to pay £210,000 in fines and costs 

Anchor Trust, pleaded guilty to three breaches of fire safety regulations in a prosecution brought by Surrey County Council.

The court was told that Mr Boxall was left alone to smoke a cigarette outside the building even though it was known that he had a tendency to drop things because of his medical condition.

This incident could have been avoided if better supervision was in place or if fireproof smoking aprons were used by residents.

For help with risk assessments, policy provision or fire training please contact CSC

Source

Care home gets £210k fine after resident death

Share this news article

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *