Archives - September 2017

18
Sep

Legionnaires outbreak results in death

A guest in her 60’s who was staying at The Feathers Hotel in Ludlow, Shropshire has died after contracting Legionnaires disease. The hotel has now voluntarily closed. In April, another guest also fell ill and tests show links between legionella bacteria found in water samples from the hotel and the two guests, Public Health England said. …

12
Sep

CSC News – September

Read our latest newsletter now

7
Sep

Care home fine following smoking death

66 year old Gordon Boxall, suffered with parkinsons disease and in 2015 was residing in a care home run by Anchor Trust. Mr Boxall lost his life when his pyjamas caught fire when he was left unattended smoking a cigarette. His pyjamas easily ignited due to the paraffin-based creams that were applied to him to treat …

5
Sep

Health and Safety and Young Workers

27% of workers aged between 18 and 34 have put themselves at risk by not following their companies’ safety procedures. A survey of 2,000 employees carried out by data capture app provider, WorkMobile, found that a third (33 percent) of young personnel admitted they would have no idea what to do if a hazardous situation …

5
Sep

Understanding culpability

“If you are aware of a hazard, and then have multiple incidents…” says John Southall, ex-enforcement officer turned health and safety advisor “… yet have done all the training and then still have another accident – that is the definition of high culpability”. Speaking at the Safety and Health Expo 2017, Southall said that if …

1
Sep

Eggs contaminated with Fipronil

Egg safety has been brought back into the spotlight recently as news has unfolded of contaminated eggs being found and used in processed foods in Europe, including the UK. This has resulted in millions of eggs being pulled from supermarket shelves in more than a dozen European countries, including the UK. According to reports, the insecticide …

1
Sep

Dangerous machinery accident/no protective guard = £300k fine!

We seem to be hearing about accidents involving dangerous machinery and lack of protective guards too frequently, often with catastrophic and life changing results. We look at 3 separate accidents which could easily have been avoided if the correct measures had been put in place. In recent prosecution news, a Devon based textile company, Heathcoat Fabrics Limited …

1
Sep

Outbreak at world athletics championships: Norovirus guidance revisited

When Norovirus rears it’s ugly head, it would seem that nobody is immune, including those with the strictest health and fitness regimes. This was very much the case at the recent World Athletics Championship held in London last month. It had been reported that as many as 30 athletes and team members at the world …