Archives - January 2016

27
Jan

Breckland Council introduces HONOR initiative scheme (Healthier Options NORfolk)

The HONOR initiative (Healthier Options NORfolk) is the brainchild of Breckland Council which rewards businesses that demonstrate a commitment to providing healthy eating options on their menu. Specific criteria which need to be met in order to achieve HONOR certification includes: offering foods with reduced salt content and fat content, and enabling customers to swap food …

26
Jan

Reading Borough Council sentenced after legionella death

Reading Borough Council (RBC) has been fined £100,000 following an investigation into the death of a pensioner who died from exposure to legionella. The resulting investigation discovered failings which were systemic and continued over a period of time. During the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecution, Reading Magistrates’ Court heard how Mr Lewis Payne, a …

25
Jan

Bar owner fined after customer accidentally served line cleaner

Poor implementation of health and safety policy and risk assessments resulted in a customer accidentally being served beer line cleaner (caustic soda) instead of beer. The bar and its owner have been fined £25,000 as a result. David Caminal suffered “exquisite pain” immediately after swallowing the liquid and was taken to hospital with severe internal …

25
Jan

Judge Convicts Illegal Butcher

A man from Bradford has been given a nine-month suspended prison sentence after denying that he was running a squalid, unlicensed meat cutting plant. The 34 year old, Majid Zaman, was also banned from running a food business after a five-day trial which saw him prosecuted after Bradford Metropolitan District Council EHO’s discovered two tonnes …

25
Jan

Guidance for reheating foods safely

Reheating food is considered a good way of reducing waste and expenditure, but inefficient reheating can be dangerous. Food poisoning affects around a million people each year in the UK, and roughly 100 people will suffer the consequences so severely they die from it. The largest cause of food poisoning is the bacteria called Campylobacter …